A Grain-Free Bread You Can Actually Toast (Without It Falling Apart)
Makes 1 loaf (tin size 23cm x 12cm)
1. Preheat your oven to 325ºF degrees.
2. Place your raw buckwheat groats and flaxseed into a food processor and mix on high for 5-10 minutes until the groats resemble flour (some groat chunks is good as this adds texture).
3. While this is mixing, place the chia seeds and 3/4 cup of the water in a bowl to allow the chia seeds time to absorb the water. Stir occasionally to avoid clumping. This will take about 5 minutes.
4. When the flour mix is done, add all the remaining ingredients (except the pumpkin seeds) and mix on high for a further 2 minutes.
5. Line a bread tin with baking paper and grease the paper with some extra coconut oil. Spoon your mixture into the tin and sprinkle the pumpkin seeds on top, lightly pressing to help them stick.
6. Place your bread in the oven and cook for 30-35 minutes (until the bread is firm ton top and springs back when gently pressed).
7. Remove from the oven and cool for 30 minutes in the tin. Remove from the tin and allow to cool completely before storing in an airtight container in the fridge for a week (you can also slice and wrap individually to store in the freezer for 3 months).
8. Enjoy as toast, bread, or the perfect quick snack with some nut butter!
Note: It is best not to store as individual slices in the fridge as this may dry the bread out.
Variation: Turn this in to a savory bread delicious on its own by adding a few cloves of crushed garlic, and any spices and herbs that tickle your fancy.
Vegan Option: Replace honey with maple syrup or omit entirely, and replace the eggs with chia “eggs” by mixing 1 tablespoon of chia seeds with 3 tablespoons of water for each egg.